Sunday, September 27, 2015

HEALTHY HOMEMADE GRANOLA BARS

Today, I was checking out granola bars that I could munch on as a treat in between meals that wouldn't break the bank in calories. With so many to choose from, the semi-healthy ones are in the 270 calorie range. I don't want that many calories for a snack when I'm dieting. So like I do every Sunday, I came up with my own recipe and these babies are not only healthy, but they're only 128 calories! No chemicals, no preservatives, just good wholesome grains, fruits and spices. The apple, along with the cranberries and brown sugar give these bars just enough sweetness to satisfy any palate.


1 cup dried cranberries
4 cups dry oats
1 cup bran flakes
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 apple, peeled and cored
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt


 

Soak cranberries in hot water for 15 minutes or until plump. Drain off the water and add to the bowl of a food processor. Add remaining dry ingredients, pulse, add the vanilla and orange juice and pulse until thoroughly mixed.

 
 


Grease and spread mixture evenly into a half sheet pan (13 X 18 in), or two cookie sheets. I wet my hands and spread this from corner to corner, end to end, and then wet a long spatula to even it out.



Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 50 minutes or until crisp.

Using a pizza cutter and a ruler, cut into 30 bars of yumminess! Wrap in plastic wrap and store in a cool dry cabinet or pantry. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment