Monday, October 12, 2015

Asian-stryle Shredded Chicken

Last week while looking through the freezer, I found two packages of chicken legs and thighs that I'd purchased two months ago. Now that I was a vegetarian, I knew I wasn't going to eat them, and even though hubby's not a fan of dark meat, I set out to camouflage the chicken, and I actually succeeded. Here's the recipe.

I used a large crockpot and put the frozen pieces in, turned the dial to high and covered it waiting for it to defrost. Three hours later, I had achieved my goal.


Taking a large tray, I removed the chicken pieces and using two forks pulling away from the bones, I shredded the chicken away from the bones, then returned it back into the pot where the juices from before still remained Turn the heat to low.




At this point, I could have added vegetables, but honestly, I was looking for something short and sweet and to the point. :-) Of course, making it special was also on my mind, so I decided to turn this dish into an Asian meal.

In a separate bowl, mix all the ingredients together and blend making sure it's thoroughly mixed.


2 large cloves garlic, diced
1/4 teaspoon ginger paste
3/4 teaspoon red pepper to give it a little zing
1/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup of water
1-2 tablespoons sherry-to taste.

Pour the liquid over top of shredded chicken and stir, allowing the flavors to mingle and become friends so when you serve this over white rice, you'll feel pretty good when the compliments fly!

 
More great recipes in Carolyn's Romancing the Chef's Toque series. Dishing Up Romance, One Menu at a Time and Catering to Love all have my original recipes.  
 
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment