Friday, February 19, 2016

THANKSGIVING IN A BOWL!

I made turkey soup today. There's nothing more down home or delicious to me than homemade soup, and turkey is my favorite. To me, the turkey soup is just as important as having the turkey on Thanksgiving. So, with that thought, I actually store the extra stuffing, the gravy and carcass in the freezer until I'm ready to make this. And folks, that's exactly what I add to the soup. I don't measure anything out--it's whatever I have in the freezer and refrigerator.






In this pot, I have the carcass, carrots, celery, onions, sweet potatoes, chicken stock and chicken stock. You can add water if you like, but I prefer the rich taste of the stock. Once I done that, I let it simmer for an hour or more, then remove the carcass and place on a tray. While this is steaming, I'll add the leftover stuffing, the gravy, and if I have mashed potatoes, I'll add those too. It makes the soup a little thicker and it's a real meal in a bowl.

 
 
Once it's done, I remove the carcass, and as you can see, I got a bit of the vegetables, but don't fret, all that is going back into the pot. Taking two forks, I remove all the meat I can from the carcass and transfer it to another sheet pan, along with my veggies.


 Here's all the meat I got off the carcass. Isn't it amazing? And that's why I love making turkey soup afterward.
 
And Wella! I have the most satisfying BOWLFUL OF THANKSGIVING, served with a salad and garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment