Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A FEW MORE HOURS, PLEASE . . .

I started writing a cozy mystery last year and put it aside when I'd been given the opportunity of a lifetime. Naturally, I didn't want to kick a gift horse in the mouth and jumped on the bandwagon and wrote two Gossip Girl fan fictions for Kindle Worlds--something I'll always regard as a very special time in my career.

At the time, I was writing a cozy, Diamonds in the Ruff, to submit to my publisher, Montlake Romance. I even pitched it at conference. This cozy doesn't use the backdrop of tea, biscuits and old lace, but rather, a regular mystery. The reason its called a cozy is because my characters are amateur sleuths.

But just as I was ready to get back to it, a few reviewers, and some local fans were egging me on the write another addition to my Kensington-Gerard Detective Series. I never want to disappoint my fans, so I did exactly that. I started writing another story, Deadly Obsessions, to be exact, which will be released at the end of this month. As a matter of fact, it's en route to my editor as we speak. It has taken me five months to write this story--a month longer than I anticipated. Of course, the next step is formatting and getting it printed in paperback.

Yesterday, I opened the file for Diamonds in the Ruff, consisting of over twelve thousand words, and began to read it to refresh my memory. I became so engrossed in the story, all I kept thinking was 'damn, this is good.' When you can sit back after reading something you've written and it excites you, then you know you've done a good job. That's my measure of success.

After the cozy, it's off to write another two stories I've already outlined. I just wish there were more hours in the day! Or a second pair of hands!

This writing business has just blown me away--something I never expected to be as successful, and I will be eternally grateful to you, my fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment